Thursday, June 12, 2008

"You are an epic collaboration..."

This is what my horoscope told me today. I'm not exactly sure that I know what it means, but I like the sound of it.

Photo: Joewhk on Flickr

Is there such a thing as the birthday blues? I've been feeling pretty off for the last few days, and I can't help wondering if it's on account of the fact that I'm about to be 27. In truth, my age doesn't really bother me, I'm happy to have gained another year of experience and wisdom. I'm not really afraid of getting older. I don't know what it is, I just feel weird. At first, I was adamant that I didn't want to do anything to celebrate this year, I'm not even sure why (maybe because I have a fear of this happening)...but upon remembering the fun that we had last year, I decided that perhaps a little get together was in order. Maybe it'll even make me feel better. All I really want for my birthday is a blue sky.

Tonight, I came home from work and poked at cold Chinese takeout leftovers before falling alseep for a couple hours on the couch. I've been absolutely exhausted this week. Maybe I've become so accustomed to the go-go-go-ness of the selling season, that I don't know how to cope with my downtime anymore. Thankfully, I woke up from my nap in time to watch the Celtics pull off a game four win in the NBA finals against my (second) most hated team in the league, the Los Angeles Lakers. Go Boston! Blockbuster didn't have the Big Love disc that I was looking for, so here I am, blogging in bed with Gene Simmons Family Jewels on in the background. Yup, that's right. I'm watching the third episode in a row. Yes, this is the best thing on tv right now.

I am thinking tonight of old friends, new friends, real friends and misunderstood friends; friends I need to see more of and friends I don't need to see to believe.

I'm also thinking of my favourite sentence. Jack Kerouac said "the only people for me are the mad ones..." That sentence has been part of my life since I was fifteen and I don't believe it'll ever leave me. I thank a special friend for reminding me again, of the importance of knowing what is real, what is obvious and what my eyes are for. The real people are the best ones, like angels.

I'm going to sleep now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE Family Jewels! :D Hope you're feeling less exhausted today!

PatZ said...

cold chinese takeout...yet another item to be added to the 'Things I Wish They Had in Dhaka' list.

also GSFJ is surprisingly addictive.

Unknown said...

Okay, okay, I've been known to watch Family Jewels on a minus 30 degree Sunday afternoon...I draw the line at Hogan Knows Best though! I hope I'm in the "friends I need to see more of" category. xo

Jennifer Robertson said...

Haha, I actually watched a Hogan Knows Best marathon on the plane recently because it was the only channel that worked! Painful.

Mel, you're definitely in the "friends I need to see more of category..." I will be in Sask again in July, so hopefully we can meet up! xo

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

I always get a bit of brithday blues, it's for different reasons every year.

cheer up :)

James Higham said...

Happy Birthday, Jennifer, from Sicily.