Friday, June 27, 2008

In a word? Brilliant.


The light was beautifully draped over his shoulders at centre stage. He looked like a painting, surrounded by the beautiful architecture of the theatre. Champions Of Nothing. Goosebumps. A band behind him, helping him recreate the music inside his head, in his heart, his art. They smiled, believing in where they were and why they were there.

A friend's music, here to reach people. I mean really reach them, to affect them in so many ways and on so many levels.

Matthew Good took the stage last night at The Orpheum Theatre, and with him for the first time in years, a band. I'm quite sure that I hadn't seen Matt play with a full band since November 2005, when I attended two back to back sold out shows at The Commodore Ballroom, upon the release of In A Coma. I was beyond excited to see him play in this capacity once again. As incredible as the man is alone on stage, armed with just a guitar and his talent, there is a completely different energy about a full band show that was super fun to experience again. In particular, hearing Hospital Music performed this way was absolutely amazing. Older classics were a sweet walk down memory lane. Matt's performance undoubtedly went above and beyond even my sky high expectations, as his shows always seem to do. He kicked it up to a notch that I didn't even know existed. This is what they mean when they say "next level." Matt's fans were certainly appreciative. If there's one thing about Matthew Good's fans, they are fiercely loyal to their hero. I have connected with some of my favourite people in the world because of a shared love for Matt's music.

Thank you, friend. We do adore you.

5 comments:

Keira-Anne said...

Kinda bummed now that I opted out of the Vancouver show. Nonetheless, I can wait for Sunday, partly to see this but also partly to see my little monkey bums again! Glad you had an awesome time - miss you tons!

Jennifer Robertson said...

Miss you tons too and missed you last night! You're going to have an awesome time on Sunday at the show and with the monkeys. xo

Jen (MahaloFashion) said...

My favorite matthew good song - strange days

I love his voice, very jealous you got to see him!!

Unknown said...

Fun times before and after the show! It was a little hard to get up for Tofino the next morning but well worth it.

Anonymous said...

The show at Massey Hall was also FANTASTIC!!!

My first time seeing Matt with a full band!

Glad you had a great time!