Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"I'm just waiting 'til the shine wears off..."

Photo: Count Me Out

I've been listening to the new Coldplay album, Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends for the last two days nonstop. I'm in love. I'm actually almost wishing that I didn't feel like I'm over the 'weekend festival concert' hill, so to speak- cause maybe if I was 21, I'd be packing my sleeping bag and tent and heading to Pemberton at the end of July to see these boys play live again. I saw them last at GM Place, and to be one of the best shows I've ever seen in a monstrous venue like that means that they're pretty unreal live. My little brother plus pretty much every second person that I talk to seem to be making the trip up to the Pemberton Festival this summer. I'm secretly jealous, but I will be in the throws of one of my most important selling seasons at that point, so no can do.

Back to Viva La Vida, I think that Coldplay really raises the creative bar with this record. My favourite track, without a doubt is Lost, a song about holding on against all odds. It builds on a simple church-organ riff, a kick drum and some hand claps. The result gives me goosebumps.

Tania did a great review of the record on her site last week, make sure that you check it out here.

Photo: Coldplay.com

3 comments:

Author said...

Thanks for the link-love, Jen :) Glad you liked it!

Tawcan said...

Just got the album last night and listened to the first few songs. It's pretty good so far. :)

Keira-Anne said...

My mom grabbed it at HMV last night so I gave it a listen already. I'm intensely in love with this record.