Sunday, December 9, 2007

She had rings on her fingers and bells on her shoes

Somehow the signals got crossed. I was doing the rain dance, NOT the snow dance. I woke up this morning at Danielle's house to discover that the neighbourhood was blanketed in snow once again and it was coming down like crazy. This was my first thought:


I am no fan of driving in the snow. For the most part, this is because West Coast drivers are notoriously bad in this weather and I'm a big baby who doesn't like to have to deal with the madness on the roads. Although, had I not been (all the way) out in Langley, my reaction would have likely been different. The thought of getting stuck out here when I must report to the office at 8am in North Vancouver tomorrow morning was not something I felt like dealing with either. Thankfully, it has turned out to be no big blizzard...just enough snow to make everything look pretty. Wrapped in my parka, I went for a lovely walk to Starbucks this afternoon to get a Peppermint Mocha; my first ever and I must say that all the buzz that this drink has been getting is well deserved.

Last night, I blasted to the past with a group of my best girlfriends. Wine in snowman cups and conversation were flowing freely. As I had hoped, I got in a good share of snuggle time with my favourite pooch, Tony. Danielle is competition for Mrs. Claus in the Christmas spirit department, so her home was gloriously festive and decorated to the max (and has been since the beginning of November, I might add.)


Feeling nostalgic this time of year, we decided to hit up our old stomping grounds. The place where at one time we made an appearance almost every single weekend, seemed like a necessary stop. Minus the boys this time, we got all dolled up and headed out, hoping for a walk down memory lane. There is something so precious about being in the company of old friends this time of year.
In past years, the highlight has been Derek J. in his Santa hat and Canucks jersey surrounded by our whole crew circling it up on the dance floor, singing along to Mariah Carey's "All I Want For Christmas (Is You)" for the last song of the night. It was always like a scene out of Beverly Hills, 90210 and I mean that in the best way. Last night was not quite the reunion that we had hoped for. For a long time, it seemed like some things would never change and that certain people would be permanent fixtures on those bar stools. Apparently, not the case. As much as I would never want to be going there every weekend anymore, and I am happy to have moved on from a routine that had become stale, I selfishly wish that it could all stay the same for me to come back to. The reality is that we have all grown up and in different directions. I suppose that is a good thing. It's still fun to come back together and reminisce about the "old days" though.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that pic of you! And yes, Peppermint Mochas are so so good, and if you don't add whip and ask for nonfat milk, they won't ruin your day with calories. :)

Jennifer Robertson said...

Thanks J. And I did go the nonfat, no whip route to avoid the guilt factor! :) Totally yummy.

Anonymous said...

November is way too early for thoughts of Christmas.
For all the snow that's falling in Toronto, I need to get me some of that Peppermint Mocha.

Aaron said...

I live a couple miles from the nearest Starbucks and I pass a couple more on my way to work every morning. I have yet to drop in and buy the first Peppermint Mocha of the year. It's probably for the best. I probably drank a hundred of them last year.

Roshan said...

I just love you in that pic. So feisty and hot. Grrrowwllll! ;)