Wednesday, October 10, 2007

All your life you were only waiting for this moment to be free


I couldn't let Paris Fashion Week pass by without a mention. My best friend Eddie lives in Paris, so I was hoping that he would be out in full force, with his camera in tow, sending me blog material and insider gossip from the scene of action. Apparently he's too busy doing history research for his PhD dissertation to play paparazzi for his oldest friend, pfft, whatever...hehe. Alas, I must resort to creating a post about this exciting week in fashion without any insider scoop.

My designer of focus for the French version of this illustrious fashion parade is Stella McCartney. What I have always loved about Stella is that she's a master at keeping it real. I find this refreshing. She puts her own spin on things, for example, her silly invitations make everybody smile (this year, it was a small magnetic board with six letters spelling out "STELLA").



On an aesthetic level, Stella's show -- definitely one of her best in seasons --was described as "very relaxed Malibu or Ibiza." Her models are confident and know how they want to look. She encourages them to smile. They're natural and cool. Stella's sometimes somber palette was livened up nicely by some fun floral patterns. The elaborate vertical garden backdrop of the set created a charming spring feeling that enhanced the sweetness of the clothes and created a relaxed ambiance for the show. The backdrop was a collaboration with French botanist Patrick Blanc. After the show, the wall will be donated to the city of Boulogne to be rebuilt in a low income housing project to promote social inclusion and urban ecology. Now that's recycling!



I am certainly a huge fan of the seventies inspired, easy-going collection that McCartney presented for Spring 2008, it's full of floaty fabrics, light trenches and one-piece jumpsuits in a pajama-style. As well, there were baggy cream blazers and suits, maybe signalling a new McCartney pant-suit.

In the show's finale, the models walked to her father Paul McCartney's tune Blackbird. A perfect ending to an amazing show.


All photos courtesy of Style Crunch

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That backdrop is wicked! I love when the designer adds something special to the show like that. So cool.

Anonymous said...

i was thinking of you last night watching top model because i have ZERO fashion sense. my husband dresses me and you can tell.
i was thinking it would be cool if you did top model wrap up posts or something.

Jennifer Robertson said...

That's a great idea Corinna! Stay tuned for a Top Model post after next week's show! :)

Miss 604 said...

I've been addicted to Top Model since the days of Adrienne hehe. Can't wait to watch this week's episode off of torrents (makeover episode!) - hockey bumped it out last night.

Jennifer Robertson said...

hockey bumps just about everything. thank god for torrents!

Unknown said...

My fav part of Paris Fashion Week? When VB showed up at the Chanel show in a vintage teal Chanel dress that I would KILL for....

Unknown said...

My fav part of Paris Fashion Week? When VB showed up at Chanel in a vintage Chanel teal dress that I would trade my first born for!

Jennifer Robertson said...

I know Melissa! It's as much fun to see what everybody wears to the shows as it is to see the new collections!