Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sounds of laughter, shades of life are ringing through my open ears


The Beatles' music has had a great effect on me throughout my life. From the day that I first discovered my dad's old records in the garage, a love affair was born. Last night Kristina and I hit up The Paramount and watched Across The Universe. This beautiful film is almost a music video of sorts. It uses thirty three of The Beatles' songs and director Julie Taymor's unique visual style to illustrate both a personal love story and the overall conflict in the sixties.
What I enjoyed most was how the film reinterpreted and revealed new facets of these songs. It seemed to serve as a tribute to their breadth and greatness.
The true essence of the era is captured perfectly. I love period films, especially when the costuming and sets are flawless. This movie transports the viewer back in time and slices into the hearts and minds of the generation that changed a world.
The artistic beauty of this movie is something almost unmatched. The colors and the psychedelic sequences make for an amazing movie-going experience and well, the music speaks for itself.
Pure emotion. This is a definite must-see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard such good things about this movie! I will definitely check it out.