Saturday, September 5, 2009

Tennis, Anyone?


The season's final Grand Slam is here, and the all-white outfits from Wimbledon and clay-stained duds from Roland Garros have given way to some of the season's loudest fashion statements. Long the home of John McEnroe's headbands and the understated styles of Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, the courts at Flushing Meadows have seen everything from Serena Williams' cat suit to Roger Federer's monogrammed jackets in recent years. This year's U.S. Open is no different.


I've been glued to the action. Since opening day of the tournament, we've not only seen lots of seriously bold colours and designs on the athletes, but some great, classic looks as well.

Serena Williams rocked Fuchsia by Nike, while her sister Venus came back from a knee injury to win in a bright pink tennis dress featuring her specialized crest.


Bouncing back victoriously from her shoulder injury, Maria Sharapova advanced to the second round of the U.S. Open with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Bulgaria's Tsveta Pironkova. As always, Sharapova looked fashionable in her black tennis dress with silver straps and a silver headband. Coordinated on all fronts! I'm lusting after her gorgeous Tiffany's earrings too. Maria always brings glamour to the court.


Today, she donned the same style dress in a pink tone with bright neon yellow details and swapped her headband for a visor.

17 year old Melanie Oudin knocked off the three-time Grand Slam champion and former No. 1 Sharapova 3-6, 6-4, 7-5 this afternoon in a huge upset. The youngster brought some style to the court with her colourful kicks.

Photo: Ladydragon

There are so many fashionably coordinated looks on the court at this tournament. If anybody understands how a great outfit can enhance your performance, it's me! (wink) Just putting this post together has pumped me up to get to the gym in some cute Roxy Athletix gear!

These days, a good sense of style seems to be just as important as good racquets and sneakers.

Here are some more of my favourite U.S. Open looks:


Okay, I've got my wardrobe, my sneakers and my racquet ready to go. Who wants to play me?

Photos courtesy of Sports Illustrated

2 comments:

Susie said...

I completely agree. A good outfit that I feel good in makes my workout a million times better. Have to check out that Roxy Athletix line for sure! Very cute.

Tracy said...

Hehe, I started watching tennis back in 2002 because of Andy Roddick. I only watch his matches cause he's fun to look at!