Sunday, July 27, 2008

A Hot Day At The Park


On Saturday, I hung out in the sunshine at The Forks Plaza skate park in Winnipeg. It was the Manitoba Regional Qualifier for the DC Nationals, and dang it was hot out there. Despite it being a work event for me, I was more than happy to spend the day at the park because I love to watch skateboarding and I had an absolutely awesome crew by my side.

I was stoked that we were in town to help out, watch the kids get their skate on and hand out stickers. Stickers are like candy to the kids at the park. I was easily the most popular chick there once word got out that I had an abundance of DC stickers in my bag. The was one kid in particular, who hounded me all day. Every time I turned around, he was there, begging me for more stickers. I discovered that he'd covered his entire bike in them, which was pretty sweet. He'll be riding the "DC mobile" around town with pride, no doubt. The emotional connection that kids have with this brand is clear as day, and it's an unbelievable thing to see.


DC Nationals is Canada’s only nationwide skateboarding contest. It also boasts the largest contest cash purse for Canadian amateur skateboarders. The top five skateboarders in each region will advance to the Nationals to compete for a piece of the $20,000 cash purse. First place at each Regional Contest will receive airfare and accommodation to the Nationals in Montreal on August 23rd. Since 2003, DC has given back to its roots of skateboarding by hosting this championship. The mission of the contest is to promote and involve Canadian youth in skateboarding. It's the only event of its kind that gives Canadian amateur skaters a chance to showcase their talent on a national level. Yesterday's Manitoba comp was presented by Sk8 Skates.


Watching these guys carve out creative lines under cloudless skies yesterday, I marvelled at the mad trickery so many of them have been able to master. Some of the littlest kids can land some of the craziest jumps. I am in absolute awe of skateboarding, I really am. It's an almost esoteric culture that contains so many facets and constituents. It's pretty rad.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like a fun, chill day..cool.

Keira-Anne said...

I would've loved to chill there with you. BTW, if Mark were President, he'd be Babe-raham Lincoln.

Phaedra said...

I love skater boys. Yum. Sounds like you are having a rad time!

Anonymous said...

I was so into skaters when I was a teenager, that I still turn whenever I hear the sound of skate wheels on pavement. Skaters are hot. Right up there with surfers...

Anonymous said...

Mark has the worst taste in samples.
Winnipeg has the worst taste in music.

Where is my SK8 Skates T