Friday, May 30, 2008

"Maybe we could be each other's soul mates"

Photo: MTV

Sex & The City is a series that captured my heart early on and has continued to keep it tight in its grip, as I have watched the episodes over and over and over again through the years. Right off the bat, I felt personally affronted by this show and the characters. Plus, I lusted over countless pairs of Jimmy Choos and Manolos, Cavalli dresses and Vuitton handbags amidst years of exquisite couture.

The much anticipated release of the movie is finally upon us, and I had the opportunity to watch it for the first time last night. I'm not going to do a review or a re-cap post, because I think that would be redundant at this point, especially considering that you can read two fabulous takes on the flick from a couple of the ladies I saw it with here and here. What I will say is that I absolutely adored the film. I laughed out loud at times and I cried and cried and cried at others- thankfully we had a box of Kleenex on hand.

It struck me while watching the film last night that what I love about Sex & The City is that it's a show about women helping each other through difficult relationships, being constant to each other, being family. The idea that you are no one until you’re with someone is outmoded; it’s better to lean on your friends and not be in a relationship than be with a man out of desperation. This is at its core. This is what I can relate to most about these women.

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, I suggest that you get your butts to a theatre near you as soon as possible. You will not be disappointed. I promise.

Photo: Daily Mail

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved it as well! The comradery is definitely what keeps women tuned in, and it was always a fave show of my girlfriends and I. I took my boyfriend to the midnight showing though, and we had a great time and it served as a great romantic comedy.

- J @ Hollow-Star.net

Kat said...

I went last night and...loved it!

Author said...

"...it’s better to lean on your friends and not be in a relationship than be with a man out of desperation."

Amen!

Keira-Anne said...

I most definitely want to see it again - and maybe a third time. And then I'll buy it.

JaG said...

I'm going to see it with my girlfriends and I can't wait!!

Barbara Doduk said...

I'll wait for it to come on video rental and have a ladies night with my chicks and watch it. :) A Whine and Cheese night... with Sex in the City. :)