Friday, December 21, 2007

Happy, happy!


Today is my dear friend Eddie's 27th birthday. I love that his birthday is at a time of year when he is usually in town, especially because his days in Vancouver have certainly been numbered over the last couple of years. A small group of us met for dinner at Guu with Garlic on Robson Street last night to celebrate. I was pumped to get to spend some quality time with Cindy B. as well as Eddie's sister Gillian, who is visiting from Toronto. Eddie has a dynamic group of extremely brilliant friends in this city, so I always enjoy getting to hang out with them and look forward to having the opportunity to hear about their elaborate life experiences. We noshed on tuna tataki, beef carpaccio, duck salad and an array of other tasty tapas. Everyone was impressed that Salimah had called ahead to pre-order some of the famous pumpkin balls, which are known to sell out early on and are absolutely amazing. The highlight of the evening was when they brought out a sizzling mackerel with birthday candles on it and we all sang to the birthday boy. Nothing like a flaming mackerel to get the party started.


As we were leaving the restaurant, Salimah emerged with a shirt for Eddie. Until today, we were unsure about whether the shirt was purchased, or cajoled off some unsuspecting waiter. Salimah has confirmed that the shirt was in fact brought out by Dice Kay just for Eddie. He designs them so he has some in the back. It's the Guu with Garlic birthday shirt. This is a photo of Eddie modelling his new birthday shirt:

There is something sacred and special about the people who knew you when you were young. Connections you had when you thought that bad times were not ahead of you, that they only existed in books and movies. The people who wiped your tears, who knew you when you were really, really dramatic (or was that just me?) and put up with you anyway, because you were loved the way you were. So today on Eddie's birthday, I want to say hey, I am really lucky to have you. You have made my life so much richer and my soul so much stronger. Love you E.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm writing a post about my such friends right now. Mentions them anyways. Lately I've been hanging out with my two best friends from when I was 13 and couldn't be happier.